When it gets to September the last several years, it is almost certain that our White Sox are just playing out the string. That doesn’t mean that this time of year can’t be valuable in some way shape or form even if that doesn’t have anything to due with the Win/Loss columns in the 2016 standings. Smarter writers than those here at the 108 have noted that PA (Plate Appearances) are a commodity to be used wisely. Alas, we still have Robin Ventura at the helm and he’s guaranteed to hurt the White Sox down the stretch even when the standings don’t matter, by giving those valuable PA to players that don’t matter and leaving on the bench players we’d like to see, to determine if they can be someone on the big club……….the list below…in no particular order, will make me cry when it actually occurs.
5. James Shields – Wasting even one more start this season on this dumpster fire is terrible team management top to bottom. I understand he’s likely to exercise his option and be under contract for two more seasons, but running him out there as a starter in 2016 for the White Sox or Padres has been downright dreadful. Alternative –
Carson Fulmer Anthony Raunado I know Raunado hasn’t been too hot since his first start at Wrigley, but giving him a little run is worth a lot more than watching James Shields get to 20 losses (sorry Biguns). Other ideas – Bullpen game or use the Rays 5th starter idea (this is when the Rays would start a high leverage reliever for the 1st inning and then bring in a starter in the 2nd inning and have them face roughly 18 batters to avoid the 3rd time through the lineup penalty)
4. Brett Lawrie – If he recovers we don’t really need to see him again, we know what he is……………high energy, meh production, major injury risk. Alternative – Carlos Sanchez I know his OPS is lower than the weight of some of our fellow Sox fans, but he’s still young, hasn’t had a lot of PA’s in MLB and could possibly show something that either the White Sox or some other team in trade may find valuable. The glove has been there, but I’d like to see some more PA’s to determine if he can be passable with the bat. Other ideas – Tyler Saladino is clearly still a bench player on this team next year so no harm in him getting the PAs
3. Avisail Garcia – He’s received nearly 1500 PA, for a slash line of .259/.310/.384, that’s right folks, he’s Dayan Viciedo with even less power. Suffice to say, he shouldn’t be on this roster next year unless full scale rebuild is occurring and you are just looking for warm bodies to help you gather up a top 5 draft pick. Alternatives – Jason Coats has done nothing but hit at the top levels of the minors, so there isn’t a good reason not to give him as many PA’s in September as possible. Let’s see if he can actually hit in the majors and determine from there his best use (probably in a trade, or in LF after trading Melky). Other Ideas – Tyler Saladino could get worked out in a corner OF spot just to give him reps for emergencies in the future. Again, this isn’t a minors loaded with ready OF’s or hitters (RIP Charlie Tilson). Other Other Ideas – Jacob May it truly could not hurt to see Jacob May man CF a few times during September, I just want to put an eye on him even if he’s not really a player. If JB Shuck absorbs any of this playing time, you know we’re fucked.
2. Matt Albers – His career is probably over so there is no upside here other than tanking for a protected draft pick. There was a time in April of this vary season (when the White Sox were the best team EVAR) that Albers was a fan favorite of the 108, El Nino…………now, he’s basically become Chris Farley in Beverly Hills Ninja, once beloved, but now just playing out the string and close to the end. Alternatives –
Zach Burdi Anything Other Ideas – Release him tomorrow
1. Alex Avila – I see no point in playing anyone at catcher other than Omar Narvaez, with a sprinkling of Kevan Smith. Let’s see an extended look and determine if Narvaez is your #1 catcher next year in a rebuild or your #2 catcher next year on a team making another (sigh) run. Alternatives – Omar Narvaez Other Ideas – Omar Narvaez………just fucking play him everyday and twice on Sunday!!!!